This recipe teaches you how to grill Tri-tip and blacken it to perfection over natural lump charcoal. The Tri-Tip cut is always a crowd pleaser, amazing flavor and tender! Grilling up a tri-tip using our recipe is simple enough in words but a little more challenging when put into practice, it all comes down to the grill. It may take a few times before perfecting.
- 1.5 - 2.5 lb Tri-tip
- 3-4 tbsp MFT Original Rub
- MFT Sauce of your choice
- Coat entire tri-tip in MFT Original rub and rest at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
- Prepare your charcoal grill using natural lump charcoal.
- Sear each side of tri-tip on high heat for appx 5 mins.
- Remove tri-tip from high heat/direct flames to medium-heat coals (or indirect) and continue flipping and rotating every 7-10 mins. Continue for 30-45 mins, internal temperature of 115°F -135°F, depending on desired doneness.
- (Rare: remove from grill when internal temp is 120-125F. Medium: remove when internal temp is130-135F, Medium Well: remove at 140-145. We don't recommend cooking past 145F, it will continue cooking while it rests in the foil. )
- Remove from grill, wrap in foil, and let rest for 30-60 mins.
- Slice thin, against the grain, and serve with MFT Sauce.
OPTION: Below is a picture of a grilled tri-tip covered in a fresh garden salsa. This would also be delicious with a chimichurri sauce.